Southwestern turkey burgers are one of my favorite turkey burgers (which says a lot because I have a bunch). These are slightly spicy, slightly smoky, and pair so well with chipotle mayo, fresh slaw, and guacamole. They are juicy and moist with cheese mixed into the burger itself, but I love topping these with extra cheese for a restaurant quality turkey burger.
Key spices for a flavorful turkey burger
If you’ve been making some of my recipes, you’ll notice there are certain spices I love; chipotle chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika are some of my favorite spices because of the deep smokiness they add to food.
The chipotle chili powder adds just enough heat without being overpowering. If you don’t have these three ingredients in your pantry, you need to go to the store and buy them immediately. Smoked paprika is used three times a week in my house, easily. I buy it Trader Joe’s and I always stock up when I’m there.
Keeping turkey burgers from crumbling
If you want moist turkey burgers and you want to keep your turkey burgers from falling apart, you need to add some fat and something to bind them. All of my turkey burgers follow a similar ratio of breadcrumbs, egg, and cheese.
How to cook a turkey burger
My favorite way to cook a turkey burger is on the grill, but here are three options for cooking the perfect turkey burger:
- Grilling turkey burgers - Allow your grill to become hot, and grill on a medium flame for 7 minutes or until the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165°.
- Pan frying turkey burgers - Spray a cast iron or frying pan with cooking spray. Allow you pan to become hot (you can splash a little water on ton see if it steams). Pan fry on medium for 2-3 minutes on each side or until you reach an internal temperature of 165°.
- Cook a turkey burger in an air fryer - Heat your air fryer to 360° and air fry for 10-13 minutes, no need to flip. Again, the burgers need to reach an internal temperature of 165°.
My favorite turkey burger toppings for my Southwestern turkey burger
If you're wondering what's good on turkey burgers, I've got just what you need. I’ve said this before, but the texture is such an important quality often overlooked in the land of healthy eating. So many dishes are mushy or one note, it’s a bummer. This burger is a celebration of complementary textures and vibrant flavors.
Below you can find some of my favorite recipes for toppings for my Southwestern turkey burger:
- Simple Slaw - a tangy, crunchy, and bright slaw that takes maybe five minutes to set up and can double as meal prep for burrito bowls.
- Chipotle Mayo - this chipotle mayo can make a shoe taste good. It's creamy and smoky, but it goes easy on the heat. I love it for these burgers, chicken sandwiches, tacos, and even breakfast sandwiches.
- Salsa Verde - this salsa verde can be prepared on the grill or broiled in the oven, and it brings a fresh sweetness to the burger.
Other toppings I love for these southwestern turkey burgers include fresh vegetables, pickled onions, queso fresco, colby jack, sour cream, or poblano cream sauce.
Southwestern Turkey Burger
My Southwestern Turkey Burger uses a blend of my favorite spices to make a smoky and slightly spicy turkey burger that is perfect for BBQs. They get their smokiness from the cumin and chipotle chili pepper, but they arse still mild enough for the kids. Top your burgers with chipotle mayo, fresh salsa, guacamole, and my simple slaw, and you’ve got a burger bursting with flavor.
Green - 3
Blue & Purple - 1
- 1 lb 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chipotle chili pepper
1. Combine ingredients in a bowl.
2. Divide into 6 patties (they puff up, so don’t worry if they seem small). Wet hands make this easier.
3. Grill or pan fry for about 7 minutes or until the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165°.
Yield:6 turkey burgers
Serving Size:1 turkey burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 21g
If you make this recipe, be sure to share it with me on Instagram! You can also find me on Pinterest!
Burgers look delish, but I’m really excited to try the slaw, too!
Thank you! I am going to try a few recipes, I will let you know how it goes! PS, we loved your turkey breakfast sausage!