Y'all, I am so ready for fall. Bring on the pumpkin, the apple, the cooler weather. It may be August, but I am ready for all the cozy fall recipes. Today, I am kicking off autumn with my low sugar pumpkin roll with maple cream cheese filling. This is an easy make-ahead dessert perfect for fall get-togethers and it is actually a really simple recipe to make!
Healthy Pumpkin Roll
Libby's original pumpkin roll recipe, which this is based off of, has 2 full cups of sugar, a whole brick of cream cheese, and almost a full stick of butter. Do you know what? It's amazing. All of these ingredients are not bad ingredients (that's not a thing), but I did want to make a recipe that was lighter on the sugar and full fat ingredients.
Healthy is subjective obviously, so please consider that when you see almost a full cup of sugar in this. I made this with some healthy substitutions without relying on sugar substitutes. The added Greek yogurt is sweetened to compliment the cream cheese and act like a filling. The greek yogurt in the cake batter makes it slightly denser while giving the cake needed acid for a rise. The slight change in density actually makes the cake easier to roll without breaking.
How long will a pumpkin roll last in the fridge?
Stored in an airtight container or wrapped, a pumpkin roll will last three days in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze a pumpkin roll?
Absolutely. These freeze really well. Wrap in plastic wrap and tin foil (or your preferred method). Remove one hour before serving and let thaw at room temperature. You can also thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Pumpkin rolls can be frozen for about 1 month.
Weight Watchers Pumpkin Roll
This pumpkin roll makes 10 large slices or 15 small slices depending on how you roll it. For a 10-slice roll, each slice is only 193 calories and is 6 WW SP on blue and purple (on green it's 7). If rolled for a longer roll for mini slices, this is 128 calories and 4 WW SP on blue and purple (5 on green).
This recipe uses real sugar, pure maple syrup, and Neufchatel cream cheese (1/3 fat). You can make substitutes using monkfruit or erythritol, sugar free syrup, or fat free cream cheese if you prefer, but I like the real stuff.
Low Sugar Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling
This healthier and lighter pumpkin roll is an indulgent and delicious fall dessert that doesn't taste light at all. With a sweet maple cream cheese filling, this twist on a traditional pumpkin roll will be a fall tradition in your house.
WW Blue + Purple 6
WW Green - 7
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup Pumpkin PUREE
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup Nonfat Greek Yogurt, divided
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 9 tablespoons Confectioners Powdered Sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 4 oz. Neufchâtel (1/3 fat cream cheese)
- Optional: additional Confectioners Powdered Sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 15"x10" jelly-roll pan. You can line pan with parchment paper, but cake should still come out easily with a dark, non-stick pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, pumpkin puree, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, and granulated sugar. When fully whisked, stir in flour mixture.
- Spread cake batter evenly on jelly-roll pan and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- While cake bakes, sprinkle 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar onto a clean dishcloth.
- When cake is done, loosen edges and turn cake over onto dishtowel. Roll cake tightyly and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- While cake cools, mix Neufchâtel, Maple Syrup, 6 tablespoons of powdered sugar, 1 cup of Greek yogurt, and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice until smooth. This can be done with a spoon, in a mixer, or in a food processor.
- When cake is cooled, spread filling evenly over the cake and carefully roll cake back up.
- Allow cake to chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
Serving Size:1 inch slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 644mgCarbohydrates: 29gNet Carbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 22gProtein: 10g
Healthy Fall Recipes
I love my Low Sugar Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling, I have a whole collection of fall recipes I love including a WW Fall Recipe Round Up with my blogger friends. Below you can find my personal fall favs.