This iconic Philly sandwich can be made right in your own home and it is surprisingly great with WW points. The flavors of this sandwich are out of this world--its savory, garlicky, and each layer compliments each other so well. It's only 3sp before provolone cheese and roll on all plans, and a crowd pleaser.
- 1.5 lb. deli sliced roasted pork loin (I use Columbus brand)
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 head of garlic + 4 cloves
- 1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
- 12-15 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 oz parmesan
- kosher salt + pepper to taste
- 2 bunches of broccoli rabe
- 3 red bell peppers
- 8 rolls
- Slice the top off the whole head of garlic. Add garlic (skin and all), rosemary, thyme, Parmesan, 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, and 6 cups chicken broth into a slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high.
- When ready to serve, add sliced pork into the crock pot to warm up and serve on sandwiches.
- Add broccoli rabe, roaste red peppers, provolone cheese, and pork to a crusty roll, ladle on some broth and enjoy.
Preparing Broccoli Rabe
- Fill a pot with water, liberally salt, and bring to a boil. While the pot is getting ready to boil, set up a large bowl filled with ice and water.
- Boil broccoli rabe for 2 minutes then remove and submerge into the ice water. (this is blanching, if you didn't know and it can be done in advance).
- Spray a large pan with some preferred cooking spray or oil, and add 4 thinly sliced cloves of garlic, a pinch of red pepper flakes, broccoli rabe, and kosher salt. Saute for 5 minutes.
Prepare Roasted Red Peppers
- Char the red peppers until they are black all around. I do this on the grill, but you can do it with a broiler or directly on the flame of your stove top.
- Place your charred peppers in a large bowl and cover for 5 minutes. This process loosens the skin better.
- Remove the skin with a paper towel or knife. Remove the tops and seeds of the peppers and loosely chop.