Disclaimer: Please note that this post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you make a purchase through these links, I may earn some commission. Any product I recommend is actually used regularly in my household. Please let me know if you have any questions about anything I recommend.
I was reminded this week how delicious crab rangoons are. I was also reminded that I'm on a public school teacher budget, so I'm making air fryer cream cheese rangoons up in here.
Y'all know I love making Chinese take out at home. My chicken and broccoli and chicken fried rice are some of the most popular recipes on my blog for good reason.
After making that sweet chili sauce for the turkey meatballs I served for the Superbowl, I knew I needed to make cream cheese rangoons.
We get these every time we order takeout and I'm throwing caution (and SmartPoints) out the window. Let me tell you, these cream cheese wontons hit the spot.
Air fryer cream cheese rangoons' 15 minutes of fame
If you watch a certain prime-time dating show (which my wife has been treating as her guilty pleasure this season), then you know that a certain Pilot who makes poor decisions tried rangoons for the first time on a hometown date.
For what it's worth, I think Pete did Kelsey dirty. TV drama aside, who doesn't love a good takeout recipe makeover?
Cream Cheese Rangoons: A Mood
I don't know about you, but assembling and molding dumplings brings me peace. It is easy enough to let the little hands help with the prep. Thus, I set up my air fryer cream cheese rangoon assembly on a baking sheet, and I let me daughters help me apply water to the edges.
Check out the video tutorial of my rangoon assembly to see the folding in action.
These little pockets of creamy goodness crisp up perfectly in the airfryer. I use the Ninja Foodi Grill almost every day for everything from chicken nuggets for the kids to grilling steaks when I don't cook on the stovetop. I even cook hot dogs in there when it's cold outside.
When I order from my local Chinese takeout place, the sauce that comes with rangoons is the same sauce served with sweet and sour chicken.
My sweet chili sauce is kind of like a sophisticated older brother to that sauce. The tang and slight spice of the sauce complements the rangoons perfectly. It is 1SP per serving.
If you like this recipe or if you make it yourself, be sure to tag me on Instagram using #dwardcooks!
Air Fryer Cream Cheese Rangoons
These cream cheese rangoons bake well in the airfryer but can also be cooked in the oven. A healthy twist on a Chinese takeout staple!
WW all plans - 2 for 3sp
WW Blue & Purple - 4 for 5sp
WW Green - 4 for 6 sp
- 8oz 1/3 fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 32 wonton wrappers (I use Nasoya)
- Mix cream cheese, Greek yogurt, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, and kosher salt together in a bowl.
- Add 1.5 tsp of this mix into the middle of each wonton wrapper.
- Wet the edges of the wontons with water using your finger, and pinch corners together into a diamond.
- As you pinch the sides together, make sure you leave no air and that all the sides are fully sealed.
- Give the wontons a spray of cooking spray and cook in an airfryer at 350 for 5-7 minutes OR in the oven for 10-15 at 400.
- Serve with my super delicious sweet chili sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Homemade Sweet Chili Sauce
This sweet, spicy, and sticky sauce comes together in a snap on the stove, and it is great for Asian appetizers, chicken wings, and even turkey meatballs.
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. sambal oelek
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. water
- 1/2 tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Combine sugar, sambal oelek, rice vinegar, 1/4 c water, and tamari in a pot and bring to a low boil while stirring.
- When the sauce begins to boil, combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water to make a slurry. Add slurry to the sauce.
- The sauce will begin to thicken and get glossy. Bring sauce back up to a boil while mixing and remove from heat when the sauce is thick and coating the spoon/whisk.
Serving Size:2 tbsp.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 23Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 0g