These healthy cornbread waffles are the perfect companion for air fried chicken, pulled pork, or chili. They are savory, buttery, and easy to prepare in a mini waffle iron. Even better, they freeze great and they are super customizable.
What is the best mini waffle maker?
There are plenty of waffle makers on the market, but I love the Dash mini waffle maker. It's easy to portion (it makes the size of a frozen waffle) and easy to clean too. I am not affiliated with them, but I totally recommend it. These waffle makers use 1/4 cup of waffle mix. A large waffle maker will use anywhere from 1/2 cup - 1 cup of batter.
Cornbread Mix Ins
My favorite mix ins are: fresh jalapeños, hot sauce, and cheddar. I taste tested a lot of waffles for this. The plain ones are totally delicious and my kids love them too. The spicy ones, however, are amazing--especially with chicken.
How to Freeze and Reheat Cornbread Waffles
These waffles freeze so well! All you need to do is let them cool and store in a freezer bag. To reheat, you can toast them in a toaster (mine took a double toast on low) or heat low in the oven. If you are making and serving a big batch, you can keep them toasty on a low oven setting right on the rack.
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp Coarse Cornmeal
- 2 tbsp self rising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt Fage
- 1/2 cup Cashew Milk unsweetened (or milk of choice)
- 1 eggs
- cooking spray
- Optional mix ins: fresh, minced jalapeño, cheddar, hot sauce
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix all of the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Spray waffle maker with preferred cooking spray and cook until golden. Using the Dash Mini, this recipe takes 3 minutes per waffle.
My favorite version of this is to add 1/2 a finely minced jalapeño and about 1/2 tbsp hot sauce to the batter.
Keep waffles warm in the oven if serving a large batch. Lowest setting, directly on the rack.
Serving Size:1 waffle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g