This Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake is a perfect, easy comfort food your whole family will love; it’s a one-pot meal that’s done in under 30 minutes with the help of already cooked chicken breast.
This recipe takes all the amazing components of chicken cordon bleu–the warm, slightly nutty swiss cheese, sweet ham, and moist and flavorful herbed chicken breast–and combines it into a family-friendly pasta casserole that is satisfying and filling.
At 12 oz. (roughly 2 cups) a serving for only 8 WW SP, this is an indulgent meal that’s a satisfying twist on a typical casserole.
Family-friendly, one-pot, done in less than thirty,
Planning Ahead Without Really Planning
If you’re like me, you buy the same combination of groceries most weeks with a half baked plan for your meals. I’ve tried to make a meal plan, I’ve even published meal plans.
I NEVER follow my meal plans–I get two to three days in, and suddenly things change; I forget about after school plans, we come home and my daughters are bonkers and haven’t napped, or honestly I just don’t feel like eating what I have planned.
This is why I try to find ways to use cooked chicken. Being on WW, I know I’ll reliably eat chicken a few times a week. Having already cooked chicken on hand makes meal planning super easy since I’ll make chicken that goes well with pasta, soup, salad, wraps, etc.
That’s my Lemon Dijon Chicken which I jokingly call my TBD Chicken. It’s chicken marinated in flavorful yet versatile ingredients that
I love my TBD Chicken. It’s a versatile, flavorful way to prepare chicken when you don’t quite know what you’ll be making this week.
I love chicken cordon bleu because it reminds me of being young and in love… seriously. I always considered it a fancy dinner reserved for special occasions to the point where we even had it at our wedding.
I grew up poor and in the suburbs thinking Olive Garden was fancy, so yeah my wife and I went to the local Irish Pub more than once for Valentine’s Day for Chicken Cordon Bleu AND she still married me.
Nothing said classy quite like chicken cordon bleu and a baked potato with the smell of stale beer in air: the height of luxury. The issue is, we all don’t have time for such luxuries mid-week.
One Pot Magic
I love this meal because I can cook it all in one pot. I love my Cuisinart Pan which can be found on Amazon here. It’s a giant pan that can hold 16+ cups and it’s a great multipurpose pan that I use about 3 times a week. This isn’t an ad, I’m just a huge fan.
I’ve become more comfortable with one-pot pasta dishes since my One Pot Alfredo which is a must-try if you haven’t. Similar to that recipe, you are going to cook the pasta directly in the cashew milk.
When you do this, the sauce will begin to thicken from the starches in the pasta. I still add some flour to thicken this, but I will always be surprised how well this works. The whole dish comes together in about 15 minutes.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake all mixed up and ready to be
When making a cheese sauce, it is important to add the cheese last. Folding in the cheese too earlier can result in a broken sauce. Don’t let that scare you, this recipe is so easy and so damn delicious. I promise.
Dwardcooks Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 1.5 lb fully cooked chicken breast sliced
- 6 oz deli ham I used 365 Brand Organic Honey Maple Uncured Ham 3sp for 6oz
- 14.5 oz Barilla Plus Protein Elbows one whole box
- 6 oz Jarlsberg Lite Swiss shredded
- 6 oz Trader Joes Lite Mozzarella shredded
- 6 cups Cashew Milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Add cashew milk to a pan and bring to a boil. Once cashew milk is boiling, add pasta and dijon mustard and cook about 2 minutes under the box’s directions. Reduce heat to low once cooked.
- Slowly sprinkle the flour into the pasta and cashew milk and stir well. Stir until there are no lumps and the sauce becomes thicker and smooth.
- Stir in the cheese and thyme until everything is melted. Reserve roughly 1/2 c of cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Add sliced chicken and diced ham. Mix everything together, taste and add salt if necessary, and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Optional: lightly broil the dish to make the top golden and bubbly.Make ahead: This dish can be made ahead, covered with aluminum foil, and stored in the fridge. Heat at 350 with aluminum foil covering dish for about 30-35 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes. If you cook ahead, increase the cashew milk to 7 cups.
Did you try this recipe and like it? Let me know on Instagram! Make sure you tag me @dwardcooks and use the #dwardcooks hashtag. Check out some of my other pasta recipes too like my Italian Sausage Bake and my One Pot Alfredo. Want to be extra fancy and have the real deal Chicken Cordon Bleu, find my recipe here.