This baked chicken tenders recipe has been slightly adapted from the technique I use in my Chicken Parmesan recipe for tenders that are crowd-pleasing and picky-eater approved.
I’ve also enthusiastically used this recipe to make Chicken Biscuit Sandwiches with Light Biscuits.
Don’t get me wrong, I love baked and grilled chicken… However, I will forever love chicken tenders. A person who loves chicken tenders more than me is my wife.
My wife grew up eating chicken tenders for most meals out with her family when she wasn’t an adventurous eater. To this day, her parents question why we went to a fancy place to eat if all she is going to eat is chicken fingers.
Now, she eats plenty of adventurous foods, but she is always down for some good chicken tenders. Also, they are a
No air fryer? No problem.
Did Santa not bring an Air Fryer this Christmas? Don’t worry about it. You don’t need it. You’ll need a baking sheet and a wire cooling rack that fits into the pan.
This will help circulate the heat around the chicken tenders while getting them extra crispy all the way around. I swear by this method. It’s also great for when you’re cooking a big ol’ batch for a group.
You’ll see that, in the recipe for my baked chicken tenders,
Baked Chicken Tenders are great alongside DwardCooks’
DwardCooks’ Baked Chicken Tenders
- 3 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 3 oz Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 oz Seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1 oz flour* I used about three oz. of flour but if you weigh it before and after, it amounts to about 1 oz. used up in the recipe
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Pickle juice
- 1 tbsp Cholula hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ground chili powder
- 2 tsp Kosher salt divided
- 2 tsp Pepper divided
- Slice the chicken breasts into long strips, roughly ½ inch thick–usually this comes to about 2-3 chicken tenders a person.
Set up your bowl stations:
- In bowl #1, add about a half a cup of flour and 1 tsp salt and pepper. *I weighed my flour before and after. I added 3oz of flour and used exactly 1 oz. every single time–trust me.
- In bowl #2, add 3 eggs, dijon, pickle juice, hot sauce, and 1 tsp of salt and pepper. Mix.
- In bowl #3, add bread crumbs, all seasoning, and 1 tsp of salt and pepper.
Dredging and Cooking
- Dredge chicken in bowl #1 and pat chicken breast so excess flour comes off. Coat chicken in egg from bowl #2, then toss in bowl #3 until fully covered. Place breaded chicken on a baking sheet until all chicken breasts are coated. Spray both sides of the coated chicken breast with cooking spray.
- Place wire rack on baking sheet. This will allow air to circulate around the chicken and make all sides crunchy. Spray wire rack with cooking spray before adding chicken breasts. Give the chicken a generous spray with cooking spray, and cook at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Chicken should be cooked until 165 degrees. Juices will run clear if cut.
- The points depends on the size of your chicken tenders, but I’ve made this several times and reliably get 2 big chicken tenders for 3sp. Alternatively, you can butterfly the chicken breasts and make breaded chicken breasts perfect for sandwiches and wraps, also at 3sp a serving.